Samstag, 22. Februar 2014

#63 Price class

Have you ever wondered why there are nail polish brands that sell their polishes for over 15 bucks and others for 0.99 cents?
Did you ever question yourself what's the difference in quality and if it pays off to invest ten times more money into the same colour?

I tried to compare three pink polishes with quite the same colour, but very different prices.

I. OPI in That's Hot! Pink (kinda my all time favourite), ~16 € 
II. H&M in French Kiss, 3,95 € (though my sister bought it on sale for 1 €)
III. Essence in Ultimate Pink, 1,25 €

The colours look all pretty similar. Because the nails on thumb and index were already chipping, I only compared the other three nails.

Let's start with applying:
I compared the quality of the brushes and how smooth you can apply your polish. And also if the consistence leaves streaks or an uneven surface on the first layer.
The essence polish definitely wins because it has a round brush which makes it easier to paint. The colour was more runny than the others, though, not so opaque. 
OPI has a really thick brush, which is ok, too. The coverage was very good, just like the H&M. The brush with the latter wasn't that good for applying because its way too thin.

The next point is drying time: 
My results aren't quite accurate because I checked on how dry the polishes were from time to time by touching the surface, but I didn't do it thoroughly in order to not mess up the nails.
From that, I had the feeling that the OPI took the longest to dry.

Last point: durability

This is a picture I took after about one week. The pinky with the essence polish looked a little bit worn out. The middle finger's tip with the OPI looked the most chipped!
Notice that on all three nails there is only one layer of polish! So it's not true that more expensive polish stays longer!
The H&M one clearly wins in this category!

Here is a chart I made to sum it up:

My result is that the best one is the cheapest one!

But I also have to mention that the OPI one was the oldest polish, we bought it about 5, 6 years ago!
Maybe that's the reason why the most expensive polish lost to the other cheaper two.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen